Get the Scoop on Amazon's Very Merry Christmas
Amazon's 22nd holiday was a worldwide record-breaking season. Super-fast delivery is experiencing some of the most rapid growth. In fact, this holiday season Amazon shipped more than one billion items worldwide with Prime.
"We are excited to have so many Canadian customers try Amazon Prime for the first time this holiday season," said Mike Strauch, country manager for Amazon.ca. "In addition to unlimited free two-day shipping on all purchases, Prime members can now enjoy even more Prime benefits."
Some of the new benefits Amazon added for Prime members in Canada in 2016:
- Prime free same-day delivery is now available seven days a week, even Saturday and Sunday, in Toronto and Vancouver.
- With Prime Video, members in Canada can enjoy popular Amazon Originals, like The Grand Tour, Mozart in the Jungle and Transparent, along with other popular movies and TV shows for free.
- Twitch Prime, another new media benefit, lets members enjoy ad-free viewing and a free monthly Twitch channel subscription, free game content and exclusive discounts on new release and preorder boxed video games.
As customers look for even greater convenience, shopping on the Amazon app grew 56 percent worldwide this holiday season.
Here are some of Amazon.ca's best sellers for 2016:
Apparel & accessories:
- Simplee Adults' Winter Warm Handmade Crochet Knitted Mermaid Tail Blanket Green
- If You Can Read This Bring Me A Glass of Wine Wool Winter Novelty Crew Socks
- Adidas Terrex Fast R Mens Hiking Shoes
- More than 72 percent of Amazon customers worldwide shopped using a mobile device this holiday.
- Shopping on the free Amazon mobile app grew by 56 percent this holiday, worldwide.
- On Cyber Monday, Amazon customers worldwide purchased about 46 electronics per second on a mobile device.
- On Cyber Monday, Amazon customers worldwide purchased about 36 toys per second on a mobile device.
- December 19 was the peak worldwide shipping day this holiday season.
- In the past two years, Amazon launched operations at more than a dozen new facilities, many of which house robotic technology.
- Just recently, Amazon opened its first robotics fulfillment center in Canada which hired more than 700 new full-time positions. To meet increased customer demand, 2,000 seasonal associate roles were created to help fulfill Amazon.ca orders this holiday season.
- Amazon fulfillment centers in San Marcos, Texas and Kent, Wash., as well as two Polish fulfillment centers, in Poznan and Wroclaw, shipped more than one million items in a single day.
- There are now 45,000 robotics units working alongside Amazon associates in more than 20 fulfillment centers.